Servings: 9-12 large tots
1 small block low-moisture mozzarella
12 slices pepperoni
3 1/2 cups hash browns
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying
Marinara sauce for dipping
1. Cut block of mozzarella into small cubes, about a 1/2 inch (1.5cm).
2. Cut pepperoni in half.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine hash browns, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder and egg. Mix well.
4. Grab a small handful of the hash brown mixture and flatten out in the palm of your hand.
5. Place 1 or 2 slices of pepperoni and a cube of cheese on top.
6. Fold the hash brown mixture around the cheese and pepperoni. Squeeze and compress until the mixture completely covers the filling and stays in a cylindrical form. Repeat until all of the mixture is used.
7. Freeze tots for 20+ minutes.
8. In a large saucepan, heat oil to 350˚F (180˚C). Fry tots in batches, three at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
9. Serve immediately with marinara sauce.